Sports Injuries Central Coast
We have highly skilled podiatrists with a special interest in the field of Sports injury treatment Central Coast.
East Gosford Podiatry have a very active interest in sports injury treatment on the Central Coast and dedicates weekends to partnering with local sporting clubs in order to treat participants on field and in our podiatry clinic.
Sports Podiatry is a special interest pathway for us and we have highly trained podiatrists with a keen interest in sport and physical activity, being involved in local sport personally or for their families.
When you come in for an appointment for a sporting injury, we will first assess your injury and then come up with a management plan based on the type of injury you have. Our goals and the goals of our patients are focused toward injury rehabilitation and returning to your sport. Our podiatrists are extremely dedicated at resolving lower limb and foot injuries stemming from sport and have an in-depth knowledge of all the structures in the foot and ankle.
Treating sporting injuries requires an in-depth knowledge of the anatomical structures of the lower portion of the body and how the body works together as a whole to support the structures in your lower limbs and feet. Having a muscle miss firing in your lower back can cause hip problems which has a flow-on effect to your lower limbs. Biomechanics is a major contributing factor in the development of pain and injury in the legs, knees, ankles and feet. Our podiatrists are highly skilled professionals that are trained to detect biomechanical abnormalities that may predispose you to injury or be the cause of any pain you may have.
The information that we gain from a biomechanical assessment helps our Podiatrists to recommend the most effective treatment plan for your specific injury or problem.
PODIATRY SPORTS INJURIES
- Achilles Tendonitis
- Shin Splints (Medial Tibial Stress Syndrome)
- Plantar Fasciitis
- Posterior Tibial Tendon Dysfunction
- Ankle Sprains
- Runner’s knee/IT Band Syndrome
- Custom Orthotic devices for all athletes and activities including cleats, spikes and racing shoes.
- Treatment of sport-specific injuries
COMMON INJURIES SEEN IN SPORTS
Sport can be quite tough on your body if you haven’t warmed up and prepared for the activity or cooled down. Stretching for at least 15 minutes before and after can help reduce the chance of injury or muscle soreness. Warming up is equally as important as cooling down properly. Following the warm-up/ cool-down principles will help you to avoid injury.
Common injuries seen in specific sports include:
- Karate & Kickboxing: Plantar fasciitis, Achilles tendonitis, sesamoiditis (is an overuse injury involving chronic inflammation of the tendons attached to the two little sesamoid bones at the base of the big toe), and ankle sprains.
- Aerobic type sports: With impact forces reaching up to six times the force of gravity and 26 bones in the foot, proper shoes are extremely important when participating in these types of activities. Shoes must provide shock absorption and proper cushioning, as well as stability.
- Team Sports: Basketball, soccer, football, field hockey, and rugby league or union often lead to foot and ankle injuries.
Artificial surfaces, hard concrete or grass, the wrong footwear, and inadequate stretching are all aspects that can contribute to sports injuries.
Make sure to wear proper shoes and stretch for at least 15 minutes before playing sports.
If you have incurred a foot, ankle or knee injury, or you would like to put a plan in place to assist in preventing injury, we can help. East Gosford Podiatry have many proven treatment and sports rehabilitation strategies and can point you toward the one that is the right fit for you!
As a sports-orientated clinic, East Gosford Podiatry provides sporting care for professional and recreational athletes from a young age to the more experienced. Our aim is to enhance performance, prevent injuries, alleviate pain and improve functional ability.
We not only provide sports podiatry in the clinic, but out on the field and court!
East Gosford Podiatry has a deep involvement in the local sporting community. Our long-term sponsor partnerships with local Soccer, Rugby, AFL and Netball clubs include regular attendance at training events and game day to offer advice and manage injury where required.